Sunday, May 2, 2010

As Ms Moon would say....

Babies, it's hot.

It's the kind of hot that I hate --that sticky, humid, sometimes-its-raining-sometimes-its-not kind of heat that makes you feel like you're walking underwater. 

Or maybe that's just me.

I slept too late for church today (I've been a grand total of ONE time so its not as though I'm a regular, but still).  I did walk my no-makeup self to the farmers market to get some eggs and I thought about some asparagus but I still have no idea how to really cook it so I didn't get any.  No red potatoes today, although plenty of sweet potatoes, but again, I have no clue how to cook them.

And besides, I have plenty of food in my fridge to tide me over this week -I made a batch of chili because I'm that weirdo that likes to eat chili all year long, even when its hot outside.  I made homemade spaghetti sauce and froze most of it after I had one dinner, so that'll keep for awhile.

I have fresh eggs now, and bread, and peanut butter for my lunches and it's my goal to not eat out at all this week.  I have eaten out wayyyy too much while on the road.

I play softball at 5:30 today, and part of me is tempted to skip it.  I know I'll have to play catcher, and stand up and squat back down at least three hundred times and in 93 degree heat, I'm not sure I'll be able to do it without falling over from heatstroke :) 

Ahh but.  I know I will go, even though I may threaten to stay home.  And I will love it, I'm sure, sticky-sweetness and all.

Happy Sunday.

7 comments:

Ms. Moon said...

Humid here too and it was hot yesterday.
Sweet potatoes- easiest thing on the planet to cook. Oven 425. Or 375. Doesn't much matter. I cut the tiny ends off of mine to prevent explosion, and place them on top of aluminum foil to bake because they'll ooze. They're done when they're very squishy. I break mine open and put cinnamon on them and eat them all, including the skins. I don't bother with butter.
Sweet potatoes are GOOD food. And they go well in soups with beans, too. Surprisingly well.

Bethany said...

Happy Sunday to you too. I know, it's hot here. Weird, sudden hot. Glad you got some goodies at the farmer's market. You are brave for going to softball. But you're right, it's good and you'll enjoy it. I've got to mow the damn lawn. Great exercise and I'm sure it will be fine once I get out there.
Thanks for the push!

Kaolinmommy said...

Hot & sticky here too! I got all sweaty getting the girls into the church building before 9 AM!

Sometimes I twice bake my Sweet Potatoes- bake them, cut them almost in half so I can scoop & stir the insides, add some butter, cinnamon & sugar, or honey, or marshmallows if I'm being bad, then pop them back in the oven to melt it all together. YUM!

And I just steam asparagus, then toss it in butter. I don't think I'd know anything else to do with it, except maybe saute it & put it in a quiche.

Not that you really asked for this cooking advice. Or that I am particularly a foodie. But I am quite bored this Sunday afternoon.

Bethany said...

Hey SJ. I just saw over at Ms Moon's that you're having a rough day. Just wanted to say hi and I hope you feel better.

See what happens when you skip softball?
Just kidding dearie.

SJ said...

I totally DID skip softball, Bethany...and you may be on to something :) Just in the depths today. Just one of those things....hopefully.

Angie Muresan said...

Hey SJ, I do hope you feel better by now. It sucks when you don't.
I love going to the farmers' market and loading up on produce.I aim to eat in a healthier way. This Sunday in church, our assistant pastor fell over with a heart attack. Freaked everyone out. I wasn't there, but my parents were sitting just rows away when this happened. His sis-in-law performed CPR until the paramedics arrived. The thing is, he's a young guy, and looks healthy, but apparently isn't. He's okay now, but I'm on a mission to eat healthy.

SJ said...

Ok, ALL of those recipes sound fantastic....KM, those twice-baked potatoes may be something I'm going to try this weekend.

Ms Moon -I really never thought about putting them in soup. They're not too mushy?